Saturday 15 August 2009

2 month wwoof anniversary

We've been wwoofing for exactly 2 months now. 15 June was when we began. We're currently in Ganllwyd (pronounced gan-clue-id), north wales, south tip of snowdonia in a small holding called Cefndduedwar and internet connection is not great here, thus the slow updation of the blog. I've written so much though, in my notebook, on notepad, and havent had a chance to enter it here. So much to say....

We're heading back to London this Friday and after a weekend of repacking & dim sum binge, we're heading to scotland for another 8 weeks - the end of summer and the beginning of autumn!

I decided I dont like summer all that much. Apart from the long days, it rains all the time anyway, and everywhere is just too overgrown and too green! Yes I must be mad. But im looking forward to autumn when the colours of the foliage turn all sorts of orange, yellow and browns. Love it.

Bjorn and I have been discussing heavily on the future. Of what our next step will be. We desperately want a small holding of our own eventually one day. But where? And also, I want to see the world more before we settle down. In our travels, we have met many people travelling as well, and most people are 19, 20,... early twenties at most. All exploring while they are young and energetic for life. We feel like we're a little behind, doing this so late! hahaha. Whilst our parents think we're being 'good for nothings' for seemingly wanting to 'retire' to farm life before we even reach 30. Oh well... what can u do, generations are brought up with totally different ideas.

When my mom was a young woman, feeding her family was everything. When she brought home her first paycheck to my grandma (she gave 70 dollars to the family out of her earnings of 75 dollars that month in the factory she always always remind me), she felt a huge huge sense of satisfaction and pride for being able to do something for the family, make a difference. But now, we work and work and work, not just to put food on the table or to pay the bills, but so we can dine at nice restaurants, buy stuff we dont need and could never fulfill our appetites, pay back loans we took to buy that over priced car. Where has the meaning of it all gone? I dont come home and hand over a stack of money and feel proud anymore. I feel a little disgusted with myself really most times. I mean, im happy Im making my mom happy... But I know that money will end up in some mega corporation's hands. And I would have supported sweatshops, unfairtraded, environmentally- disastrous businesses out there in some way. Whether its that new mobile phone, or the topshop dress, or the budget air ticket me or my family would have bought,... with what I believe in and what I've read and seen out there, the money feels as dirty as if I was a drug trafficker.

Anyway, I will continue to rant later... supper time for me now! (Supper is what the brits call an informal dinner. Its not the meal eaten AFTER dinner like we say it in singapore)

No comments:

Post a Comment