Friday 1 January 2010

Bali begins 2010

I think this is the first time that the 'new year' and its celebrations, resolutions, wishes etc dont really mean much to me. When we were studying or working full time and all that, this was a time of reflection of the year gone by and it was also a break from work. I think also, I've never before looked back at the year and said - what an awesome year it has been. It truly was.

One year ago on 1st Jan 2009, we were already on the path of moving away from our old lives and into the new. We were already serving our resignation notice and planning for the great wwoofing adventure ahead of us. I remember waking up in our Camden flat, with a throbbing hangover from a bit too much the night before (HH and Birdy, thanks for that wonderful NYE we spent on Primrose hill where HH saved my life from an oncoming car). I just felt so relieved that the awful 2008 had past and we were on our way to salvation. But today, I look back at 2009 and know that it was a year we learnt so much, grew so much, changed so much for the better. We didnt just let life flash by us in a blurry daze. We took life into our own hands, got out there and lived each day fully, savoured the gifts of nature and wonderful people and new experiences around us. We were slaves to no one but to our own priorities. We were free.

In a couple of hours, we will be on a plane to Bali. Our beloved Bali. The charming, magical island that Bjorn and I fell in love with and at, took so many of our holidays and get got married in. We will be wwoofing with Gede, a young Balinese farmer in his organic farm, and helping Tasha, a Helpx host build her cob houses in the country side. Although we've been to Bali several times, this will be the first time we'll not be staying in the touristy places but instead, be in the villages with the local people. We are staying a month this time, not a measly couple of days. There's so much we want to do there in Bali besides wwoofing though. I want to learn to surf. Take some yoga lessons. Maybe even try detoxing (never done it before and really should). After wwoofing in Europe for the last couple of months, we're so happy to be closer to home and learning more of what our gorgeous part of the world has to offer. South East Asia. All my life, I never really appreciated what it means to be here. But I think now, lots more people, especially Singaporeans are more curious to discover the beautiful corners of our region.

I hope I havent bored you guys with endless words and no photos. We just havent been all that on the ball with photos. Bjorn's dad passed me his old iphone with a camera which should prompt us to take more photos!

Happy new year to everyone.... and here's wishing you the courage to pursue your dreams in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment