Wednesday 29 July 2009

Farewell Cornwall 2

So here's more photos of our 2nd placement in Cornwall, Little Meadows farm. It was a very different experience there (its all been different!). For one week, it was Sarah our host, me and Bjorn. There was no family, no other wwoofers, even no animals! So you can imagine the environment is just... much more quiet and serene. Sarah, being a more 'matured' and wise host, and being only the 3 few of us, we had much more serious deep conversations about life etc.

Bodmin moor was also apparently a really harsh place to farm in. The land/soil is not great, really acidic and the winds stronger, and it rains more coz its a bit higher up than most places. Less people, more remote. We got to see wild cornwall really. Weather was so-so... it's been a really sad wet July, coz June was amazing.

Sarah treated us like guests more than just wwoofers. She made an effort to fill our week with different activities like working in the other farm shop one morning for fresh veg, took us to the coast for a picnic and a swim and a walk, brought us to her friends at a biodynamic farm down the road, and even drove us to the bus stop etc to go to the eden project. In a nutshell, she was fantastic.

And here are some snap shots!

This is the resevoir which Little Meadows overlooks:



The next few beach shots are of Lundy Beach... which I think really, is the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. Its only at low tide where you can actually have a beach. It's got thousands of mussles all over its beautiful rocks where people can collect and eat! There were so many little nooks and crannies to explore too. Definitely a big highlight in our cornwall adventure. (lady in blue is sarah, shes camera shy)











Then we went for a coastal walk....









Overall, I felt Cornwall has its stunning natural beauty. Mainly, its its long summers and beautiful beaches that lures people here. But what perhaps I feel is missing, is calmness. Well, at least for me... I never felt a sense of calmness, stillness... which is what I like about the countryside in the first place. The weather changes every 10 mins in Cornwall. Its either too windy, or too sunny or too rainy. At least here in Wales,... it will rain for a good few hours before it gradually turns.

When our train left the borders of Cornwall yesterday and rolled into Devon, near the station at Saltash, I actually saw an otter, or a sealion! Its bald head popped out of the sea and its eyes followed the passing train as I fixated my eyes on its cute little face, feeling otterly (haha) lucky that I got to see him. And as the train chugged on and my brief encounter with the little creature passed, I bade goodbye to wild Cornwall.

1 comment:

  1. I love Otters too! Just linked to your blog from mine, and wrote a little about you kids. Chin up and stay safe on the road!

    Karen @ iamspidermonkey.com

    ReplyDelete